Traveling in an RV can be an extremely fun way of camping. They often will provide you with enough room for many appliances that camping in a tent just can’t do in the same way. Though in many cases you will need a generator in terms of a power supply for those appliances.
When looking for the perfect generator for your RV there are a couple of things you will need to consider such as the size and weight of it so that it doesn’t take up too much room which can leave you feeling a little cramped and claustrophobic.
Luckily for you, we’ve gathered all of the relevant information that you will need. This can be tricky if you do not know exactly what you are looking for so if that adequately describes the situation that you are in then you have come to the right place.
It can be difficult making a purchase on something that you know nothing about so you have no need to worry.
The Best Generator For RV Living
As stated above there are many things that you will need to consider before you feel confident enough to make your final decision so with that being said, let’s get started with the best generators for your RV and any specific needs that you may have when it comes time to purchase.
Anker Portable Generator
Anker is a leading brand in the world of electrical appliances so it’s absolutely no surprise that they have made it onto this list with their own portable generator. This particular generator weighs only 3 pounds so it can be considered an extremely lightweight product. It’s also fitted with a handle that makes carrying the product incredibly easy.
This device also has a power-saving mode which will enhance the battery life of the device massively. This will automatically turn off when your devices are fully charged so you won’t even need to worry about doing that yourself.
It can also be charged through solar power if it runs out of battery while you are on the road. This can come in extremely handy in a time of need. Though will struggle to power anything over 500W.
It’s a very compact design so will also not take up a lot of space which can be a major issue when traveling in an RV due to the number of things that you may try and squeeze into them.
This will be great at combating the ongoing issue with claustrophobia that you could well experience in places that feel like they are overcrowded.
- Very lightweight product weighing only 3 pounds so will not add much weight to you RV which can save you money on fuel
- Has a power saving mode which will enhance battery life and will automatically turn off when your devices have reached full charge
- Very compact design that will save you lots of space in your RV which can be a massive help.
- 6x Longer-Lasting: Rated to provide 3000 charge cycles with premium LiFePO4 batteries extends the battery lifespan by 6x more than the standard...
- Unprecedented 10-Year Lifespan: Instead of 2 years, 535 Portable Power Station lets you power your devices everyday for 10 years. It also comes...
- Extra USB-C Port: Recharge to 80% in under 2.5 hours via the in-box adapter and a USB-C port. Time to get rid of bulky adapters because charging...
- Will struggle to power anything over 500W
Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment WGen3600v
This is an extremely affordable option for a power supply in your RV. It’s 23.3 x 17.5 x 18.7 inches so isn’t the biggest power generator and won’t take up much room which is very important. Though the device does weigh 99 pounds so may add a little expense in terms of fuel.
The device is a gas-powered one and will have a runtime of 13 hours on a full tank of gas. This is an extremely long runtime and will be sure to mean that you won’t have to constantly be refueling it. It has a very easy engine shut-off button that will mean you will not struggle to turn the device off and on like in some cases you will.
It’s an extremely durable product which will be a very welcomed feature considering when you are traveling in an RV you may find that sometimes you drive off the beaten track.
As it’s gas-powered you will need to ensure that you have a good supply of gas with you at all times to ensure that you will be able to get it started.
- Quite small in terms of size so will not take up a lot of space in your RV
- 13 hours of runtime which will be able to last you overnight.
- Very durable product which again can come in very handy while you are travelling in your RV
- It is also an easy start generator, you just need to push a button.
- 3600 Running Watts and 4650 Peak Watts; Recoil Start; 4 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge; Up to 14 Hours of Run Time Per Tank
- Features One 5–20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle, One RV-Ready TT-30R 30 Amp Receptacle, and One L5-30R 30 Amp Receptacle; All Outlets Have...
- Plug-and-Play: Comes With Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User’s Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly...
- Quite a heavy product weighing 99 pounds which may add quite a bit of expense to your fuel, especially considering this is a gas powered generator
Champion Power Equipment 100554
This Champion generator has dimensions of 24.9 x 22.9 x 22.4 inches. This means that it will not take up lots of room and will leave you with enough room for you to move around freely in your RV without feeling claustrophobic.
The device itself weighs 120.1 pounds so it’s not lightweight but if you need to move the generator it does have wheels to make that job much easier.
It’s an electric start and will have a run time of 12 hours, this is sure to be able to last you an entire night time so that you can charge your devices while you sleep. It will also mean that you do not need to be constantly refueling every couple of hours.
It also has cold start technology so if you find yourself in a colder part of the world you will not need to worry about the generator not working. The generator also comes with an electric key fob which will be able to turn the device on and off from up to 80 feet away, this can be extremely helpful and convenient.
It also has a tank capacity of 4.7 gallons which can be very helpful in terms of having to refuel, though this may mean that you are spending more money on fuel than you would perhaps like to.
- The device is quite compact and won’t take up that much space in your RV
- Has cold start technology
- A key fob which can power the device up to 80 feet away.
- Start and stop with ease from up to 80 feet away with the included wireless remote key fob – push-button power and convenience like never...
- Trust the reliable 208cc Champion engine with its battery-included electric start featuring a 3-way ignition switch, plus built-in Cold Start...
- At 4375 starting watts and 3500 running watts, enjoy up to 12 hours of run time on a full tank of gasoline with a noise level of 68 dBA from 23...
- Very heavy and won’t be considered as a lightweight product.
Westinghouse Outdoor Quiet Portable Generator
This particular power generator is an extremely quiet one. It has little feet at the bottom of the device which will stop it from making noise. Generators will often vibrate which is where the noise comes from, these little feet will act as noise reducers during the time in which you have the device powered on.
It’s 104 pounds which while being lighter than some of the other devices on this list still won’t class it as a lightweight product. The dimensions are 24.5 x 17.5 x 20 inches making it quite a compact design that won’t take up lots of room in your RV which is a highly important thing for you to consider.
It has a highly impressive run time of 18 hours which is the longest on the list so far, this will be long enough to work during the periods of the night when you are charging your devices for morning use.
It also has a tank capacity of 3.4 gallons which is quite big, though to fill the tank up it may require more fuel than you would perhaps like.
- Very quiet generator which means it will not keep you awake at night
- 18 hours of runtime making it the longest on this list so far
- Quite a compact design that will not take up much room in your RV
- 4500 Peak Watts and 3700 Rated Watts at Less Than 3% THD; Telescoping Handle; Gas Powered; Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and...
- Features a 5–20R 120V Duplex Household Outlet, an RV-Ready Tt-30R 30 Amp Outlet and Two USB Outlets – Great Choice for Travel Trailers or...
- Led Data Center: Rotating Digital Display Shows Fuel Level, Power Output, Remaining Run Time, Voltage Output, and Lifetime Hours
- Big tank capacity means you may need to spend more money than you would like on fuel for the device.
Jenkins 2300 Watt Portable Generator
This device is extremely lightweight weighing only 51 pounds, it’s also fitted with a handle to make carrying the device very easy for you. It’s 21 x 11 x 19 inches making it a really compact design that won’t take up that much space when it’s placed in your RV, this can help you feel less claustrophobic.
It’s also an extremely quiet device that will help massively when you are using it overnight to power any devices that you use and need to sleep.
Some generators can be incredibly loud which will leave you struggling to sleep. It’s also a much more affordable option than some of the others that are on this list. It has 8 hours of runtime on a full tank which isn’t as much as some of the others on this list.
It also has a built-in fuel gauge to help you manage your energy level. You are also offered a 2-year limited warranty which may come in useful.
- Very quiet generator
- Lightweight product weighing only 51 pounds
- 2 year limited warranty
- 2300 Peak Watt & 1900 Running Watt powered by GENKINS industrial class 79cc 4-stroke OHV engine
- 1.36 Gal Gas tank give you 8 hours run time at 50% load
- 53-56 dBA low noise level ultra quite when it's 13 feet away from your window, RV & Camper friendly
- Only has 8 hours runtime
Generator For RV Living Buyers Guide
The durability of any product is extremely important for you to consider, this is no different with generators in RVs. Durability will mean that the device will often be more resistant to damage and will last you a lot longer than something that isn’t durable.
This really is something that should be considered with the highest importance. If a product is not durable then it may not last you a long time. Due to the price of generators, you will want to ensure that the device can last you an extremely long time.
Luckily many of the above products are all extremely durable and will be able to withstand damage, this can be especially important if you like to travel off the beaten track. For those reasons this really should be something that you consider highly before you make your decision on which is the best generator for you and your specific needs.
One of the most irritating things would be if you purchased this device and then after a few uses, it suddenly stopped working.
Portability is again something that needs to be considered and is one of the most important aspects. If a device is not portable then transporting it from location to location can be a very difficult task.
Many of the above products either come with wheels to push or pull the device or have handles where you can carry them. This really does make your life easier and should be treated with high importance. As stated above if a device is not portable moving it about can be incredibly difficult and incredibly irritating for you.
For that reason, you really should consider this aspect of the devices quite highly. As stated all of the above products are portable and by selecting one of them you are eliminating that issue as a whole.
This makes your life easier and everyone else’s easier too.
The size is one of the most important things you need to think about, if not the most important thing that you need to consider, if a device is of a compact size then you will find it much easier to fit the generator in your RV and not feel claustrophobic while you are in there.
Feeling claustrophobic is something that many RV users deal with so it really is important that you try and combat that when you can.
If a device is too big then you will struggle to move freely around your RV and this in some cases can make you feel extremely uncomfortable. What is the point of being in the great outdoors if you are not comfortable when you move around?
That would be counterproductive. This really is one of the most important things for you to consider and should be treated as such.
The weight of the device is also something that you will need to consider. The reason for this is because it will add lots of weight to your RV which will mean that the money you end up spending on fuel can be a lot more than you originally intended.
Realistically you should try to find a product that is incredibly light to avoid spending unwanted money on fuel. If you are traveling in an RV then you are most likely going to be spending a lot of money on fuel anyway so where you can cut costs on that you really should.
This is one of the most important things that you need to consider.
The noise a generator can create can often be very off-putting. The reason for this is normally due to the engine that the device uses when it is turned on. Many of the above products are incredibly quiet.
This comes incredibly handy when you are using the generator overnight to power your devices. If a generator is too loud at night it can really hinder your sleeping which can be incredibly annoying.
Especially when you are traveling and need to gain sleep to be able to drive safely. If you are fatigued you will struggle to drive.
This really is something that you will need to consider when you are making your final decision on which is the best generator for you and your specific needs.
Easy To Start
Sometimes it can be really difficult getting a generator to start, this can be for many reasons. Maybe you don’t know exactly what you’re doing or maybe it’s too cold to start the generator.
This can be a real problem for you when you are out in the middle of nowhere so having a generator that is fitted with cold start technology is incredibly important. Many of the above products are incredibly easy to start and will not leave you stranded for a power supply.
This really can save you in a time of need and needs to be treated with incredibly high importance.
Frequently Asked Generator Questions
Why Is It Important That The Generator Is Light?
The reason that it’s important that the device is a lightweight product is that it will mean that it does not add a lot of extra weight to your RV.
If a generator is heavy it can add lots of weight to the device and will mean that you may need to spend more on fuel than you would like.
Why Is It Good To Have A Quiet Generator?
The reason it’s good to have a quiet generator is that at night when you are using it, it will not keep you awake.
Generators can be incredibly loud so it’s important that the generator that you select is extremely quiet to help aid your sleep.
Soundproofing can help reduce the noise, but you’ll want to keep it to a minimum so you can relax.
Why Is A Small Size Generator So Important In An RV?
Size is important because it will leave you feeling less claustrophobic. With limited room, any space that you have needs to be optimized, and getting the most practical and useful generator for the size is ideal.