Inverter generators sometimes get a bad rap for being set in a higher price range than a conventional generator. However, as with a lot of things, there is a reason. Inverter generators are typically quieter than regular generators, more energy-efficient, and have a longer life expectancy.
This product exemplifies the idea of getting what you pay for. So if you’re looking for a great generator that will be able to provide power for a motorhome or RV, or something that can act as a home backup generator to help in emergencies or power outages, then an inverter generator is going to cover everything that you need it to and more.
Without further ado, here are our picks for the best inverter generator on the market. These feature fantastic elements such as an electric starter and super-quiet functions. No matter your requirements, something on this list should suit you.
When purchasing something with a hefty price tag, you want to ensure you’re getting what you pay for. The easiest way to ensure something like this is to check the brand name. If it’s something well-known and trustworthy, you can be certain that you’re making a sensible purchase.
With that in mind, the best portable inverter generator is the Honda 2200-Watt 120V super-quiet portable inverter generator.
Honda is well known for its high-quality generators, and this product is no different. It can power various appliances in a lightweight package, making it perfect for portable use either at a job site, at home, or on the move.
This product comes equipped with a useful “co-minder” system that continuously monitors carbon monoxide levels and shuts down if it enters the danger zone.
Its 121cc engine can deliver a super-quiet performance with fantastic fuel efficiency. This generator can power many appliances simultaneously, even high-energy ones like air-conditioning units.
- MORE POWER. SAME LEGENDARY QUALITY. - The EU2200i delivers 10% more power than the previous EU2000i - enabling you to power more of what you...
- CO-MINDER - Advanced Carbon Monoxide Detection System. CO-MINDER continuously monitors carbon monoxide (CO) levels. It automatically shuts down...
- HONDA MY GENERATOR APP + BLUETOOTH CAPABILITY - Honda's exclusive My Generator smartphone app offers remote generator operation and monitoring...
When thinking of a generator, you might be put off by the idea of complex dials and pulling a cord repeatedly just to get it chugging along, but with an electric start generator, these issues are a thing of the past.
The best electric-start generator on the market is the WEN portable inverter generator; all you have to do is turn one knob and press the switch – nothing could be simpler!
This generator has multiple outlets for different cables and can facilitate two three-pronged receptacles, one AV 120V receptacle, one 12V DC receptacle, and a 5V USB port.
With all the capabilities, it should be able to handle anything that you need to throw at it. There is also a handy digital load and fuel gauge so that you can keep an eye on everything you need to keep an eye on.
This product is also lightweight and easy to move around, making it perfect for camping or road trips.
- Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb.Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb
- Extremely quiet operation minimizes noise;, EPA III and CARB Compliant
- 212cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 3800 surge watts and 3400 rated watts with a half-load runtime of up to 8.5 hours
If you need or just want to start your generator up to 80 feet away, you’ll want to purchase a remote start generator like the Pulsar 4500-watt inverter generator.
The best application of a product like this is in the event of an emergency or a blackout, you will be able to get your emergency lights and power working via the use of a remote instead of having to run out in the middle of a storm to battle with a generator.
This generator is ideal as a backup generator for your home but can also be used on the go or at a job site.
It comes equipped with a 3.4-gallon tank that can run for about 15 hours on a half load, but some customers have even reported that they were able to get 60 hours out of a tank with no issues.
- 4, 500 peak watts/ 3, 700 running watts
- Capable of up to 15 hours of extended operation at half load on 3. 2 gallons of fuel
- Convenient wireless remote start allows you to operate the unit from up to 80 ft away
Generators are known for being big noisy things that overpower anything and everything around them. If you’re on a romantic camping getaway or just going about your day living in an RV, you don’t want the constant growling of a generator to distract you.
If this is a concern of yours, then you should consider getting the A-iPower 2000-watt portable inverter generator. This particular generator has a super-powerful 4-stroke 79cc engine, and you’ll be amazed at how quiet and unintrusive this machine is.
Thanks to its compact size, it’s also perfect for traveling without annoying your campsite neighbors with an aggressively noisy generator.
The A-iPower generator can power sensitive electrical equipment like TVs, charge phones, laptops, and tablets. It can run continuously for up to 4 hours on a full load and 7 hours at half-load.
All while remaining so quiet, some happy customers have reported needing to check on it because it was so quiet they didn’t even know if it was on!
- Produces 2,000 starting watts with 1,600 running watts of clean and safe power for sensitive electronics such as phones, televisions, laptops,...
- Complete with A-iPower’s “Low idle” technology for an extended run time of 4 hours at 100% load and 7 hours at 50% load
- Equipped with a low oil alert light and low oil automatic shutdown, helping keep your generator performing year after year
You’ll be pleasantly surprised by how powerful the Westinghouse iGen2200 portable inverter generator is, especially for its impressively low price point!
This Generator hits 1800 rated watts and 2200 peak watts while boasting the ability to run all of your home essentials in an emergency.
The gas-powered product has ports for two standard 120V 20A household outlets and two 5V USB ports, meaning that you can power lights and charge your mobile to keep you safe and connected during an emergency.
The Westinghouse can on a full tank for a whopping 12 hours and can even start up a stove if needed. It can also handle more sensitive electronics without breaking or blowing them.
Although its compact build makes it great for traveling or smaller spaces, it is also more than enough to suit as the backup generator for a home in emergencies.
- 1800 Rated Watts and 2200 Peak Watts at Less Than 3% THD - Weighs Only 47.4 Lbs. - Gas Powered - Two 120V 20 Amp Outlets; Two USB Outlets
- Great Choice for Home Use as an Emergency Backup in a Power Outage - Strong Enough to Run All Your Home Essentials
- Extremely Quiet, Extremely Fuel Efficient: as Low as 52 dBA Noise Output and 12 Hour Run Time on a 1. 2 Gallon Gas Tank - Features "Economy Mode"...
The generator we have chosen as the best 3000W is the Generac 3500-watt portable generator, and that is because it is easily portable, has 3000 watts of running power, and combines the start, run, and stop functions all into one easy-to-use dial. Yes, not only is it portable, but it has an electric start as well.
This generator has a lot to give, especially considering how much 3000-watts can power. It makes it perfect for anyone looking for a 3000-watt that can fit anywhere and be easily moved wherever you need it.
The only downside is the price point which might be out of a lot of people’s budget. However, if you can fork out for it, you won’t be disappointed, as all the reviews rave about how great this product is.
- ULTRA-QUIET – 40% Quieter than Honda* Advanced inverter technology and enclosure design provide optimal quiet performance (* Over 5 dB(A)...
- Ideal for work or play - durable steel enclosure, clean inverter power and easy portability make this the ideal generator for jobsites or...
- 16% more power than Honda, Featuring power rush advanced technology.Rated AC Frequency:60 Hz
Sometimes you just need a little more, and I mean a lot by a little. The Briggs and Stratton Q6500 quiet power series inverter generator can burst out an incredible 6500 watts of start-up power and run continuously with a full load for up to 14 hours, thanks to its super-efficient 306cc engine.
This product features four 120V -20A outlets, two USB outlets, and a 20V-240V locking outlet; this generator will be able to take anything you need it to and can probably power the majority of things you need might need in an emergency if you need a back-up generator.
One of the special aspects of this product is that it also comes equipped with a carbon monoxide detector and special shutdown technology that can save your life if it happens to be pumping out too much carbon monoxide without proper ventilation.
The Briggs and Statton generator is still pretty small, considering everything it can do. However, it’s still pretty bulky and might not be as sensible as a portable generator for road trips or camping.
That said, it has wheels if you choose to move it around.
Finally, it is also thankfully quiet, even running at full power.
- QuietPower Series Inverter Technology - Inverter technology produces power that’s more than 60% quieter than standard generators while...
- 306cc Integrated Engine/Alternator - A highly-efficient integrated engine/alternator provides up to 14 hours of run time.
- Protective, Noise-Reducing Shell - With an all-steel frame enclosed in a protective shell, noise is minimized and internal components are...
Depending on your location and budget, you might want to consider getting a generator that can run on gasoline or propane to maximize your output and give you more options.
With that in mind, the Champion portable dual fuel inverter generator is the best dual fuel generator. After a storm, it can be days before gas stations are up and running again, so the propane gives you a great backup if you run out of fuel before you’re able to restock. That kind of versatility can be great for peace of mind.
The Champion has a 3400-watt startup and a running wattage of 31000 watts. It also features an eclectic start, meaning no fussing about complicated dials or cords.
Other features include the quick-touch panel, low noise level, and a 3-year warranty. And if anything goes wrong with your generator, you’ll be able to talk to Champion’s excellent customer service support, to which you have lifelong access.
This generator is a bit bulkier than some of the other portable models we’ve looked at in this list and so is better suited as a backup generator for a home rather than something that can come on RV travels with you.
- Dual Fuel – Operate your 3400-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 0.6-quarts of oil...
- Convenient Electric Start with 3-Position Ignition Switch – Battery included, plus Quick Touch Panel allows you to access all your controls in...
- Ultra-Quiet Operation – 59 dBA is perfect for RVs, tailgating, your next project or backup power for your home, featuring 3400 starting watts...
All of the generators on this list are available on Amazon, making them super easy to acquire; however, Amazon’s pick for the best inverter generator is the WEN 2350-watt portable inverter generator.
Weighing in at just 39 pounds, this product is super-portable and super quiet, being no louder in noise level than a normal conversation.
This unit can produce 2350 surge watts and 1900 watts of running power for daily devices such as TV, computers, phones, lights, and laptops.
Because of the nature of inverter generators, this product will protect these sensitive devices from surges and power them efficiently.
The tank on this unit can hold a gallon of fuel, and the engine can run for approximately 10.5 hours on just a quarter of the tank. There’s also a safety shutoff feature that uses the remaining fuel in the carburetor before shutting down.
- Ultralight body weighs in at a mere 39 pounds for easy transport and storage .Designed to mirror a pure sine wave, this generator limits total...
- Extremely quiet operation comparable to the sound of a normal conversation according to the US Department of Health and Human Services
- Produces 2350 surge watts and 1900 rated watts of clean power for safe charging of sensitive electronics (phones, tablets, televisions,...
Best-Rated Overall Inverter Generator
Our winner for the best overall and best-rated unit available is the Champion power equipment open-frame inverter generator, which comes in at 30% quieter and 25% lighter than most other inverter generators of this caliber.
It is a cost-effective power solution that ensures a quick start even in harsh weather, thanks to its unique cold-start technology.
It’s easy to see why this particular product is so highly rated as it comes with a 420cc engine that can produce an incredible 8750 starting watts and run for 10.5 hours at just a quarter load.
If you want something cost-efficient that will be able to power your whole house in an emergency, then this generator is for you. And thanks to its lightweight frame and wheels, you’ll be able to move freely if you happen to be on the move or using it for a trailer or RV.
This machine comes with many outlets, including a DC automotive-style outlet, a dual USB adapter, and battery-charging cables.
With this product, you get what you pay for. However, it’s worth keeping in mind that you have to pay a pretty heft price to get all that quality.
Knowing that you want to upgrade or make your first-time generator an inverter is one thing, but knowing exactly what you need and will work for you and your space is another.
And so, to be sure that you’re getting the perfect product for your requirements, here is a brief buyer’s guide to inverter generators to get you started.
Inverter Generator VS Conventional Generator
I’ve spoken a lot about what makes an inverter generator great, but that might not mean anything if you’re just starting out.
So, to get a better understanding of what an inverter generator is and why they’re generally superior here is a simple comparison:
As well as electrical generators, a conventional generator also contains an internal combustion engine which is why they are generally pretty big and hefty.
While these generators do a great job producing a high-quality electrical output, they struggle to power multiple appliances at once or when the appliances connected to each need a different watt.
When swapping between different appliances, it has been reported that the electricity produced becomes pretty low-quality, causing them to blow appliances, devices, or even the whole system and cause a black/brownout.
As well as this, because these generators are constantly running at the same speed, never able to slow down, they are generally very noisy and noticeable – which isn’t great for a romantic camping getaway.
Though they have these issues, conventional generators are cheaper and still fuel-efficient, and so certainly aren’t a terrible option.
Alternatively, an inverter generator combines the traditionally separate engine and generator. The two parts come together in one machine, which makes it far lighter and much more compact.
Inverters work by taking AC (alternating current) power, breaking it down into the more manageable DC (direct current) power, then building it back into controlled, high-quality AC power once again.
This kind of generator is quieter, lighter, and more energy-efficient than conventional generators. An inverter can give you the right amount of power you need for any appliance or multiple instead of constantly working at full speed.
However, because of all these advantages, an inverter generator typically costs much more than regular generators. Although you get what you pay, putting out the upfront cost may not be wise if you’re working with a smaller budget.
This is because you could use the same fuel in an inverter generator as you would in a conventional one, especially if you turn off the eco-throttle mode.
Be sure you know exactly how you will be using it and how to ensure you get the best functionality out of your generator possible.
The Champion Open-Frame is an incredible piece of equipment; however, sometimes, you don’t need all that power or can’t afford the steep price tag.
In those situations, any of the other products on this list are going to serve you and your needs, just make sure you know what your budget is and what your specific requirements are, and you’ll be able to find a unit that will serve you, regardless of where you’re going.