Generators help us access our favorite electrical devices and functions wherever we go. By converting mechanical energy and motion into electricity, generators seek to provide a stable power source to mobile homes, RVs, and camping sites for hours.
As a result, they consume quite a fair amount of fuel, which can be pretty costly. It also goes without mentioning that when the fuel runs out, it can be incredibly frustrating, as your access to electricity will be summarily cut off.
Most generators run off of just one power source, which is helpful for simplicity’s sake, but sometimes you just wish you could use whatever fuel source you want whenever you want to! If you’ve ever wanted more mileage from a generator, look no further than the ingenious dual fuel generator.
But what is a dual fuel generator? What benefits can it offer me? Where can I get one? And most importantly, which is the best one to buy? Let’s take a look together!
What Is A Dual Fuel Generator?
Dual fuel generators are quite simply what the name implies. These generators can run off of two unique fuel sources to create electricity. Most ordinary generators use gasoline or diesel to create the motion necessary to generate electricity.
Dual fuel generators allow users to use both fuel types simultaneously or one after the other. This means they can use both simultaneously to generate more impressive power or use one after the other to increase the amount of time the generator can power on for.
What Are The Benefits Of Having A Dual Fuel Generator?
One of the most important benefits of having a dual fuel generator is its flexibility. If you find that gas prices have skyrocketed, or that you are otherwise unable to get access to it, then you can simply shift over to using diesel until you can get access to gasoline again.
This also helps you save lots of money, as you don’t have to buy and maintain multiple generators for use with different fuel sources, and you can choose to purchase the cheapest fuel source at the time you need it.
Another benefit is the positive impact that such generators have on the environment. Such generators produce far fewer greenhouse gasses and other toxic fumes than ordinary generators.
This is because the engines inside dual fuel generators are designed to run more efficiently.
Best Quiet Dual Fuel Generators On The Market
Now that you’ve seen what wonderful benefits dual fuel generators can bring, you likely want to know how you can experience these benefits for yourself.
Want to know what some of the best quiet dual fuel generators are? Read onwards to find out!
The WEN DF475T makes it easy to see the benefits of dual fuel generators firsthand. Want to change between different fuel modes? Simply twist the dial on the control panel to switch between gasoline or propane modes.
This particular model also makes it easy to switch between 120v and 240v modes, to allow for different power levels, and to feed electricity to different devices. This also means that you can efficiently choose the power level to save lots of money by ensuring that the generator never runs beyond what is needed to provide you with the necessary electricity.
You can fill the 4-gallon tank with your fuel sources to achieve a run time of well over 11 hours. This is an incredible amount of time and provides more than enough electricity for camping trips or RVs. And when you want to turn the generator on, all you need to do is simply turn the start-up key, and the electric startup system will kick into action.
This means you won’t find yourself in any of those awkward situations where the generator struggles to start up. And when you’re done with the generator or moving it from spot to spot, this can be done with immense ease, thanks to the sturdy and large wheels on the right side of the generator.
Simply lift the generator from the right side and then drag it about.
When not being moved about, the rubber feet towards the left side of the generator help to hold it in place without a chance of shifting, so you don’t even have to apply a brake!
This is the perfect generator for all manner of user types. Whether you’re looking for electricity during a camping trip or need a backup electricity source, this generator has exactly what you need.
- The fuel switch dial makes it simple to change between your two fuel sources, to allow for maximized control at all times.
- Can produce up to 240v of electricity from just 4 gallons of fuel. If you don’t need 240v, then you can easily switch it to a 120v mode to save on fuel efficiency!
- Can be easily transported to wherever you need it, thanks to the attached wheels, which are sturdy and built to stay in place when the generator is set down.
- A few users have encountered difficulty upon receiving the generator, as removing the motor mounting brackets was difficult, which needs to be done before the generator is used.
- Some users have noted that this generator is slightly louder than other generators they have used.
Specs for the WEN DF475T
- Weight: 105 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 23.2 x 17.5 x 18.5 Inches.
- Power Source: Gasoline and Propane.
- Wattage: 4750 Watts Output.
- Tank Volume: 4 Gallons.
- Engine Type: 4 Stroke Engine.
- Switch between gasoline (4750 surge watts, 3800 running watt) and propane (4350 surge, 3500 running) with the simple turn of the selection dial
- Voltage easily goes from 120V to 240V, perfect for transfer switches and emergency backup
- Electric start powers the 224cc 4-stroke OHV engine with the turn of a key
Lugging around a heavy electricity generator can be an absolute pain. Not only can they be incredibly heavy, but even when stored away between uses, they can take up some significant storage space.
That’s exactly why the designers at Champion Power Equipment decided to put together this amazing all-in-one generator to pack in all of the delights of dual fuel generators into a singly tiny package.
The width and length of the generator are only around 26×25 inches, making it easily one of the smallest electricity generators on the market. However, despite this unassuming small stature, this generator doesn’t lack where it counts.
This machine can still produce over 120 volts of electricity to power multiple devices simultaneously, making camping trips and RV trips a breeze. The generator has four 120v outlets you can use to power your stuff.
And you don’t have to worry about overloading the generator, as it features a built-in surge protector, which kicks into action automatically upon detecting the signs of an overload. The control panel on the face of the generator features all of the controls and information you could need to efficiently fuel your RV or camping trip.
The Intelligauge shows you the total run time and the number of volts the generator produces at any given time. Through the use of the fuel dial, you can choose between your two power sources to suit your needs. Regarding fuel, you can fill this generator up with around 4.7 gallons of gas and propane.
The small and unassuming nature of the generator is also reflected in the low volume level of only 68 decibels. This volume level can be compared to an average vacuum cleaner.
This is far quieter than other generators, even dual fuel generators! This makes it a great option for those hosting social gatherings who don’t want to be plagued by a loud and constant whirring sound.
- Features a small profile, which makes it light and easy to move about from place to place, but also makes the generator incredibly easy to store between uses.
- This generator has a very low noise profile which won’t prove disturbing or annoying.
- This generator can also produce upwards of 120v and features four outlet ports to provide power to many devices simultaneously. You can expect the generator to run over 10 hours on a full tank.
- The instructions included with the generator are not overly clear, it took us some time to get it started during our first tests.
- You cannot change the speed at which it produces electricity, so it can quickly eat through fuel.
Specs for the 3800 From Champion Power Equipment:
- Weight: 119 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 26.3 x 24.8 x 22.9 Inches.
- Power Source: Gasoline and Propane.
- Wattage: 3800 Watts Output.
- Tank Volume: 3.4 Gallons.
- Engine Type: 4 Stroke Engine.
No products found.
Dual fuel generators can be pretty expensive. They cost quite a pretty penny, thanks to the advanced features found within and the expert craftsmanship that goes into making them. Many cost upwards of $1,000, a significant investment that many are just not ready to take the leap for. Are you finding yourself in this situation?
Did you like the previous options we showed you but found that the large price tags put you off? Not to worry. Our next product is not only affordable but also has its bevy of useful features.
The DuroStar DS5500EH is priced at half of the cost of other competing dual fuel generators! ‘But what’s the catch?’ I hear you say. You’re in luck, as there is no catch! This generator is as powerful and capable as any other competing product.
This generator can be switched between 120v and 240v modes to achieve different power levels that can power many other devices you might need.
The generator has two household outlets for more common appliances or extension leads and a twist-lock to help you power some serious machinery without risking the power being disconnected accidentally. These outlets can also be covered when not in use to protect them from outdoor elements.
Regarding the available fuel sources for this generator, you can use gas and propane to fill up the 3.9-gallon fuel tank. This provides for up to 15 hours of electricity at the highest. And when you want to switch between your two fuel sources, you can do so easily.
This helps you to make the most of every single volt of electricity while also saving you lots of money on fuels, and helping the environment, by producing less toxic fumes. This generator is built to last you many years, and at such a low cost! It’s a marvel of modern engineering and will be by your side for countless outdoor adventures.
It also makes for a great backup electricity source for hospitals or other venues where electricity is crucial. This is the best generator for both affordability and ease of use and would make for a perfect product for anyone new to the world of dual fuel generators.
- Incredibly affordable and easy to understand, making this the perfect option for those new to dual fuel generators.
- Features an analog display that gives constant and accurate readings of the amount of electricity produced at one time.
- The wheels and the durable frame make this generator easy to transport about while also staying protected from harsh elements of bumps and scrapes.
- This generator is considerably noisy, as we discovered in our own test runs.
- The start-up instructions can be difficult to follow at first, which could be frustrating to new users.
Specs for the DuroStar DS5500EH:
- Weight: 122 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 25 x 22 x 22 Inches.
- Power Source: Gasoline and Propane.
- Wattage: 5500 Watts Output.
- Tank Volume: 3.96 Gallons.
- Engine Type: 4-Cycle Air-Cooled Spark-Ignition.
- Plenty of Power – With 5,500 starting watts and 4,500 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads, from lights and a refrigerator to a home...
- Dual Fuel Technology – This generator runs on gasoline or propane, giving you the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice
- Powerful Engine – The DuroStar 224cc OHV engine is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs, from powering high...
The Ultimate Dual Fuel Generator On The Market
So let’s see which of our tested dual fuel generators came out as the absolute king!
“Wow.” After our test of this amazing dual fuel generator that was about all we could say! Words simply failed us! Let’s start with the most important stuff.
This generator can run for 12 hours on just one full fuel tank. Its fuel tank capacity is around 6.6 gallons, making it easily the largest option on this list. However, despite being so large, it is also no heavier than even some of the smallest dual fuel generators!
It weighs approximately 230 pounds, but comes with a dual set of wheels that allows you to easily drag the unit from spot to spot without breaking your back!
The large size of this generator also makes it far more fuel efficient and friendly on your bank account! You won’t have to constantly refill it every few hours just to ensure that your electricity keeps running.
Instead, you can kick up your feet, relax, and just enjoy your trip.
The long life of the generator also makes it perfect for those who need to use the generator as a backup electricity source, as it can effectively cover for mains power supply for a healthy 12 hours, plenty of time to get the original problem fixed!
You can also make use of the incredible power output of this generator thanks to the generous four power outlets built into the face.
These include two household outlets for everyday electronic needs, a volt transfer, and an RV outlet. This means you can provide power straight to a compatible RV, so you only have to use one of the outlets and can save yourself a lot of hassle and trouble.
To make the packager even better, this generator also comes with a remote control so that you can power on and off the machine with just a simple press of a button. This is made possible by the electric start system, which gets the machine up and running with no fuss every time.
For those looking to use this unit as a backup power supply in the case of power outages, you’ll be delighted at just how easy it is to hook up. You can hook the generator up to your home’s power circuits and connect it to a transfer switch.
This lets you switch over to your backup power as and when you need it, which is great for those emergency situations.
This generator truly offers the best of both worlds. Everything about it is designed to be easily ported around while still providing immense power, which makes it perfect for campers and RV aficionados.
And its easy hook-up system and large tank capacity make it also just as perfect for those who are looking for backup power supplies! This is how it made it to the top of our list of the absolute best, and we couldn’t recommend it more.
- It has an incredible tank capacity, allowing it to run for more than 12 hours at once.
- Despite its large size, it is still very portable, and can easily be moved around thanks to the large wheels.
- The remote control makes it easy to switch the generator on and off and allows you to kick back and forget about it while it gets to work.
- The system is very heavy when lifted, but can be dragged about easily via wheels. Make sure to ask for assistance when lifting.
- This generator creates more noise than other models.
Specs for the Westinghouse WGen7500DF:
- Weight: 192 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 27.2 x 26.1 x 26 Inches.
- Power Source: Gasoline and Propane.
- Wattage: 7500 Watts Output.
- Tank Volume: 6.6 Gallons.
- Engine Type: 4 Stroke OHV Engine.
- 7500 Rated Watts and 9500 Peak Watts (Gasoline); 6750 Rated Watts and 8550 Peak Watts (Propane); 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge; Electric...
- Intuitive Control Panel Features Two GFCI 5–20R 120V Household Duplex Outlets and One L14-30R 120/240V 30A Twist-Lock Outlet; Outlets Have...
- Plug-and-Play: Comes With a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User’s Manual To Get You Started...
Dual Fuel Generator Buyer’s Guide
Still not sure which dual fuel generator to spring for? With the amount of choice we’ve just presented you, it’s no surprise!
If you want to get yourself a new dual fuel generator but aren’t sure which to choose, let us help you make that decision. Read on to find out the best things to consider when making your choice!
How Much Does The Generator Cost?
For many, price is the biggest point of contention when purchasing something. You obviously don’t want to spend too much on something and find that you don’t need it, and you definitely don’t want to underspend and find that you get a worthless product that doesn’t match your needs.
Before you pick a product to purchase, you should consider what you want out of it. In this case, do you want a bevy of additional features, such as remote control? Or do you just need a basic dual fuel generator? This will affect how much you should spend. The more features that a generator has, the higher its price will be.
If you don’t use any extra features, purchasing one of the more expensive models would be a massive waste of money.
How Long Does The Generator Operate For?
Are you planning to embark on a long-haul camping trip or hit the road in your RV? In such a case, you may want to consider paying for a model that has a longer operating time.
This is so that you can keep your necessary electronics powered for as long as you need without having to frequently refuel. If you just host one-off outdoor events, you may be better off with a model with a shorter operation time, as even such models can provide upward of 6 hours on a full tank!
The operating times of a generator tend to go hand in hand with the fuel tank’s capacity, which brings us to…
What Capacity is the Generator Fuel Tank?
Dual fuel generators need to be topped up with fuel. That much is clear. How often you will be doing it differs from model to model. If you spring for a model with a greater tank capacity, you may only have to refuel it every ten hours.
This would be the best option for those looking for backup electricity for their home and those looking for reliable power for an outdoor event.
Fuel tank capacity will affect the generator’s weight, so this also must be considered. It will be significantly heavier if you fill a large tank with plenty of fuel.
You should consider where you will be taking your generator. If you are going on a camping trip, you might want to go for a lighter model that will fit comfortably in the back of your car.